How to Properly Blow a Crow Call

Go down

Post by Gary on Wed 20 Apr 2011, 8:58 am

Splash is on the money explaining how to tune a crow call by adjusting the reed forward or back. Let's take it one step further. Now your reed is where you like it. Holding the barrel of the call and blowing the call with one hand does not maximize the use of the call. This woks fine to locate a turkey but to have a crow respond right now and come, try this. To get maximum volume and clarity cup the mouth piece with one hand and the barrel with the other hand butting both hands together using your last two or three fingers to throw your sound or pinch your sound. This technique allows for total air flow through the call. When air escapes through the reed the call sounds totally different. Now all you need to do is learn the different types of crow sounds and when to use them.
Gary
Dances With Crows

Back to top Go down

Re: How to Properly Blow a Crow Call

Post by Polish Hammer on Fri 22 Apr 2011, 8:45 pm

Gary,

I know it's almost impossible to teach the different crow sounds and when to use them over the Internet. That's probably the most interesting and most desired aspect of crow hunting to me. I started crow hunting 6-7 years ago and have really been serious about it the last 4-5 years. I have learned a ton since I started and have added hand calling to my crow hunting. I have had birds come to my mouth calls but I know I could do a lot more. Do you have any advice on how I can learn the different sounds and when to use them?

Hammer
Polish Hammer
A Worm

Back to top Go down

Post by Splash One on Sat 23 Apr 2011, 5:12 pm

Gary you hit the nail on the head...

I always use the "OK" to help people learn how to hold a call ... make the "OK" sign with your dominant hand... stick the end of the call in the hole and use the other three fingers to control back pressure.... then cup your other hand over to help add some bass, and sound direction.

I use my middle finger the most.. and when I do death cry, or wounded crow.. I growl, and do some short cut off caws as if something is choking the crow.. I add to the sound by basically scraping the side of my middle finger up and down across the open barrel, which also helps change pitch, and air flow..

I think the hardest part about sounding like a crow is how you start and end your "caw" sometimes crows do make a generic "caw" that can be reproduced just by huffing into a call.... but there is sooo much more... and I am just starting to pay attention to the inflection a crow uses..

You can learn the different text book crow vocals.. and hammer them out of a crow call... and you will kill crows that way... but truly sounding like a crow is not easy at all.

Molting Crow

https://www.youtube.com/user/SDoutside?feature=mhum, http://s1184

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary on Mon 25 Apr 2011, 9:29 am

Hammer and friends: To answer you question on how to learn different sounds and when to use them is a simple answer but a hard thing to teach over the net. My best advice is to purchase the tapes that are out there which we all use on our FoxPro's and other devices and listen to them "repeatedly". On Bob Aronsohn's DVD's he goes through the teaching of these sounds and when to use them and when not to use them. I am not promoting Bob's DVD's but he is a well traveled crow hunter that knows crows. Take your call out to the garage or man cave whichever you have and listen to these tapes and DVD's and try to imitate the sounds over and over and over. You will become a better caller in the right situation.
Gary
Dances With Crows

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum