Sucker Punch Game Calls
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

call selection

5 posters

Go down

call selection Empty call selection

Post by watch em fall Wed 30 Mar 2011, 8:18 pm

I was just curious what kind of calls each hunter prefers. Not to start a better or worse, just to see who likes slate, box, pushbutton,diaphram or maybe your own voice. thought it would be a good forum to just see who likes what type. Or perhaps to give a guest a reason to join in on a forum.

Last edited by watch em fall on Wed 30 Mar 2011, 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
watch em fall
watch em fall
Baby Crow

Back to top Go down

call selection Empty Re: call selection

Post by Splash One Wed 30 Mar 2011, 8:36 pm

Honestly I have no idea who is better at what, I have single and double reed primos diaphragms that work well for me... I tried some others and they tickled my mouth so bad I couldn't use them.. I also have a slate call, and a primos gobbler. Decoy wise I have 2 hens and two jakes .. 2 feeders, and 2 alert. I got them off of wingsupplies.com for $20.

When I first started dear hunting in Virginia almost 20 years ago, I purchased a box call to pass the time on dead days.... sure as hell I called a turkey to within shotgun range and I had NO idea what I was doing vocals wise.

call selection 2324003302
Splash One
Splash One
Molting Crow

https://www.youtube.com/user/SDoutside?feature=mhum, http://s1184

Back to top Go down

Post by Nada Mucho Wed 30 Mar 2011, 8:41 pm

well....i am no expert on turkey hunting but have to say that if anyone is voice calling with success then kudos to you because thats a SKILL!!! i've played with a single reed long enough to be annoying and learned the importance of not over calling.
Nada Mucho
Nada Mucho
A Worm

Back to top Go down

Post by watch em fall Sun 03 Apr 2011, 9:34 pm

I let polishhammer do all the calling call selection 2906346010
watch em fall
watch em fall
Baby Crow

Back to top Go down

Post by Splash One Sun 03 Apr 2011, 10:18 pm

I think purring with a mouth piece is the hardest out of all the calls... you have to keep your tongue on the reed and putter with your lips... I called in some hens once ... they got within 10 feet of me... I just let them pass hoping the tom was behind them .... wasn't to be... I am still turkey-less.. but I went on a bender where I went out every day for almost 2 weeks and got in my stand at pitch black until noon... I heard turkeys fly down, group up, multiple toms gobble from the same tree.. I just could not get them to come close enough,... this group just walked circles around me.... I looked at the GPS after one trip... I had walked 6 miles in circles LOL.... and that wasn't even one of the longer days.... I even got to shoot at a tom that was airborn... it was about 15 feet off the ground and haulin butt, it was a left to right shot.. I hate those.

San Diego county turkey SUCK..
Splash One
Splash One
Molting Crow

https://www.youtube.com/user/SDoutside?feature=mhum, http://s1184

Back to top Go down

call selection Empty Re: Calling Question

Post by Gary Mon 04 Apr 2011, 4:09 pm

I like Knight and Hale diaphragm calls for mouth calling and the Lynch Fool Proof box call. Knight and Hale diaphragms seem to allow me to cluck, cut and purr with a more profound sound, sharp and loud. The Lynch Fool Proof box call is an oldie but goodie that has been around for a long time. It provides loud calling on windy days. But as we all know everyone has his or her favorites. It took me probably over $300 to find the right match for me.
Gary
Gary
Dances With Crows

Back to top Go down

Post by Polish Hammer Fri 22 Apr 2011, 8:57 pm

I am a big fan of friction calls (pot calls). I was without my lucky MAD Calls Super Aluminator last year cause I thought I lost it in the woods. WELL...I was upstairs cleaning up (see what happens when you clean up your junk)..and found my Aluminator. Can't wait to get out this year and try it again. I have multiple strikers too (wood, graphite, plastic..). I also use mouth calls too. And have started with a box call. Box calls seem to be the best for locating during the mid morning. They seem to be the loudest.

I am heading out in 9 hours to take my son out for PA's youth season. I have heard a bunch of gobblers and saw 11 birds out in a field this morning. Hopefully the weather cooperates and I can call him one in. He's 9 years old and has never shot a bird. Took him out once last year and he didn't get a shot. I think he'd be hooked if he could get one.

Hammer
Polish Hammer
Polish Hammer
A Worm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down