Bearded Hens

Go down

Bearded Hens

Post by Gary on Wed 06 Apr 2011, 3:33 pm

Boys let's get the guns out and screw in our X-full chokes and see if we can scratch up a Tom. Our season starts this Saturday, April 9th and runs through May 7th. I hope all you avid turkey hunters have been scouting and have picked out a spot to set up early on opening morning. I have been watching several nice Tom's but have noticed something different this year. Bearded hens seem to be everywhere. Must be something in our water???

Question: Does your state allow the taking of a bearded hen and if so would you shoot one? Question
Gary
Dances With Crows

Back to top Go down

Re: Bearded Hens

Post by Nada Mucho on Wed 06 Apr 2011, 6:13 pm

virginia bearded hens are ok to blast. not sure what i would do if one crossed my path.
Nada Mucho
A Worm

Back to top Go down

Bearded Hens

Post by Gary on Thu 07 Apr 2011, 7:30 am

Very familiar with Va. I had the pleasure of 5 years hunting in Martinsville, Va. in a club of 2500 acres. I harvested some nice birds there and shot my first triple bearded bird there. Never saw a beaded hen in the 5 years. I asked the question about bearded hens because in the past I thought that they did not reproduce and should be taken out of the gene pool to allow all other hens to get bred. After some research through the NWTF I found out that they do breed and that they are more likely to produce double and triple bearded gobblers from every clutch of eggs. That's cool. I see more and more of them in my area for some reason. I think I am going to let them walk in hopes of seeing their double and triple bearded offspring.
Gary
Dances With Crows

Back to top Go down

Bearded Hens

Post by Gary on Mon 18 Apr 2011, 8:40 pm

Gentlemen, it is game on her in Eastern NC. The dogwood trees are blooming the brim are bedding and the toms are gobbling. Just finished our first week of turkey season. I was fortunate to have the first week off work and I took full advantage of it. I had my first experience on the first morning hunting with another hunter in a Primos Vision Blind. The other first was my son-in-law. I called in three birds and we shot one each on the count of three. Perfect way to start the season. The following Monday morning I took another bird on a different farm. Both of my birds had 10.5" beards and 1" spurs. In NC you can only take two birds, so I was tagged out and the rest of the week was spent taking new hunters introducing them to the sport. During the rest of the week I witnessed two more birds being killed withing 25 yards in full strut. What a site to behold. I am counting down the days, I will be driving to Kansas on May 9th to hunt for five days for Rhio's. The best part of this hunt is my son will be going with me this year. He turns 21 on April 20th. He is in to bow hunting. We will be trying to get him a chance at a tom with his bow. Wish us luck!

I would interested in some of our readers to share their first weeks hunt.
Gary
Dances With Crows

Back to top Go down

Re: Bearded Hens

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum